A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How long should I wait?

  • Easteregg
  • Easteregg's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
23 Jul 12 #344813 by Easteregg
Topic started by Easteregg
My stbx and I had our first FDR early June 2012, it was agreed out of court that my ex would give me some cash and a piece of land we own. He agreed before going into court to increase the amount of cash by £7500. When the Judge asked him how he proposed to raise the extra 7.5K my stbx said he would get a mortgage. (He has raised the rest of the money via a trust fund, which he denies!). The agreed dates were 56 days, which was early August to transfer house to him, land to me, and him to pay me the cash. Interest would be charged if this date was not met. The Judge said that he wanted stbx to get back to the court quickly (I think 2 weeks were mentioned, but not put on the order!) that he could raise the extra cash. If he failed to do this, we would both be back in court and the house be ordered to put on the market. I have chased my solicior, to no avail. I then contacted my barrister who got my stbx''s solicitor to contact mine within hours saying he had had a mortgage approved, and asking for a further 62 days, with no penalty fines for going over this date. Am I right in pushing for a quicker settlement? Or should I just wait and do nothing. Thank you.

  • Easteregg
  • Easteregg's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
24 Jul 12 #344995 by Easteregg
Reply from Easteregg
Please can anyone help me with this question. Thanks

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.