A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

removal of name on mortgage

  • PETAL's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
28 Sep 07 #4078 by PETAL
Topic started by PETAL
Anyone had the other parties name removed from mortgage, ex not contributed to mg 18 month and have just signed a Consent Order agreeing terms.

Only thing is mg company are being arsy even though im paying and have done for the life of mg can you pay dooooooooooohave always paid and he told you he wont pay a penny what a bunch of arseholes.

Seemed happy with agreement but mg comany being unhelpful. Ideas anyone.Feeling more stressed than fdh hes mam no mam 3 bags full mam.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Sep 07 #4088 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Usually it's a good idea to sound out lenders before signing a consent order. What are the terms? Often they stipulate you will endeavour to remove the other party from the mortgage.

  • wscowell
  • wscowell's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
28 Sep 07 #4094 by wscowell
Reply from wscowell
Fiona's right.

When you file a consent order you have to send in a "Statement of Information" on financial facts in outline. On the back of the form you have to say whether the mge lender have/not objected to the proposed transfer of interest in the house.

The problem with a mge is that it's a contract. The lender on the one hand, you two on the other. The basis is that you are both "jointly and severally" liable to pay it. As a lender, you have two possible targets to get your money. Why would you willingly give up one of those targets? You see the problem from their PoV, suddenly it's not quite so unreasonable.

The thing to do is to convince them that the Ex isn't necessary, or even remge with just yourself as sole borrower perhaps.

But as Fiona says, if all else fails, you just have to "make best endeavours" to get the ex off the mge hook, best you can do.

Will C

  • PETAL's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
28 Sep 07 #4097 by PETAL
Reply from PETAL
Thanks for that. Have gottem other party to write to mg company and say he moved out 18 months ago and has not and does not intend to pay 1 penny.May help.

Thing is he seems to think he was never liable for the mg or joint debt cause he walked away leaving me to deal with the whole caboodle.

He has told mg company he wont pay previously so they know his game am making my own mg application but my credit rating hey what a suprise is not fab but plent of people willing to help.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.