Divorced November 2014. Family Court made an Order for costs against my ex husband in June 2015 for £1,000 to be paid within 14 days. My solicitor represented me, ex went on his own.
The following week after the Court Hearing, my solicitor emailed me, told me the result and said that if ex doesn''t pay, my next option will be Bailiffs or Attachment of Earnings.
My ex has a good job and an expensive car. He has child maintenance
taken via a Deduction of Earnings Order as he refused to pay me child maintenance
. He doesn''t see his 3 children and has threatened to burn down our house with the kids in it. He regularly drives past my house stalking me and the children, the police has given him many warnings and an Harrassment Notice, but he just doesn''t care.
Needless to say, ex did not pay the £1,000. I instructed my solicitor to go for the Bailiff option first.
Only then did my solicitor tell me that the Family Court Order would have to be enforced in the High Court!!! If I had known this in the first place I would never have bothered as it sounds costly, furthermore, after the Hearing my solicitor asked me to chose which option I wanted to take i.e. Bailiffs or AOE - no mention of going to the High Court.
Now my solicitor avoids most of my calls, I''ve only managed to speak to him once and he told me about this High Court and that he was waiting for someone from his company in litigation to get back to him. After trying to speak with him on an almost daily basis, I gave up until two weeks ago when I spoke to his secretary and told her how disgusted I was with him.
He still hasn''t bothered to contact
me and now I''m left wondering if I can finalise this matter myself in the Court or should I just draw a line under it all.
I have 3 children by my ex, the youngest age 2 is severely disabled, I am reliant on Welfare Benefits and my family have so far paid for my divorce. I owe my solicitor some money, but during our last conversation when he told me he was waiting for someone from litigation to get back to him, he said wait for me to call you and then we will discuss the final bill. As mentioned before, I have not heard a thing from him.
I am not going to go down the complaints procedure as he is a director of the company and actually, when he was doing my divorce he was fantastic, however, I would not want to cross him.
So I want to know if I can proceed without him to try and get this £1,000 which the Family Court has ordered. Any help, advice would be much appreciated.