A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Matrimonial Home

  • Bennybonbons
  • Bennybonbons's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
26 Jun 19 #508285 by Bennybonbons
Topic started by Bennybonbons
Hi I'm new here and desperate for anyone's take on my circumstances please.

Have been going through divorce for 3 years as ex refuses to mediate, negotiate or consider any other option other than selling the matrimonial home and 'getting his money'. I have put many offers forward and either been stonewalled or ignored - one was 5.5% more than his solicitor was offering!

There are 3 children eldest 16 lives with him as she can do what she wants and basically has a flat to herself (another story...)but we have contact with each other. The 2 younger boys 11 and 8 I have full legal custody of with no contact for their dad mainly because of him selling the house but he doesn't care. Plus there is a Non Mol against him.

The equity is roughly £210K, I have paid mortgage and all other bills in full for 3 years. He has 2 bedroom flat he pays for so only fair i cover my own bills. His salary is fairly good, i work part time as I was a SAHM but have gradually taken on more and more hours at my son's school since separation. Ex's pension is £235K so over the equity.

I cannot raise a mortgage or take over the existing one. I now live with a partner, we are on very low income and are desperately trying to take over mortgage but being linked with ex is dragging on my credit rating. What can I do, will i really be made to sell the home? Even downsizing to a 3 bed where i live so i can still work and children go to school (i don't drive) is twice my mortgage!!! I cannot magically make money would the Judge really order a sale??? Please help xx

  • ChilliKoala
  • ChilliKoala's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
30 Aug 20 #513899 by ChilliKoala
Reply from ChilliKoala
Short answer is yes. The judge will make my child and I homeless and unemployed if he orders as my ex would like them too. Not only this I am £15,000 down and liable for his £20,000 costs if it goes his way. My barrister thinks it will all because I tried to stop him underselling the house by £50,000. He's now suceeded with that. Given the equity to complete strangers who've got a bargain and the lawyers who've taken the rest.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11