A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Second petition - is this possible?

  • MKW
  • MKW's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
01 Jul 12 #340279 by MKW
Topic started by MKW
Please advise whether I can make a second Petition having had my request to rescind the original application and cancel proceedings agreed by the judge and my marriage certificate returned only two weeks ago. My Decree Nisi was issued December 2010, but we had reconciled/separated a couple of times since. I changed my mind at the last minute and cancelled the hearing for the Decree Absolute as we had reconciled again, and know I made a stupid mistake and need to see it through. We get on as "friends" but I can''t forget the past and make it work as a marriage, we''ve been together (off & on)27 years!!

Is it possible to send another Petition, so soon and would a record of the previous application and withdrawal due to reconciliation affect the success of a second one?


  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Jul 12 #340803 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
As soon as the original Petition is dismissed it is possible to issue a new Petition.

The new petition will have a new case number and the old Petition, once dismissed, becomes void. The new petition will be unaffected by the old.


  • MKW
  • MKW's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
03 Jul 12 #340912 by MKW
Reply from MKW
I''ve looked at the forms, they''ve all changed since I applied in 2010! The new D8 in part 4 does ask whether there have been any other proceedings even if abandoned without final decision, and also asks about co-habitation since.

I am worried any new application will be refused as we have lived together over 6 months since Decree Nisi was issued which I was told before will mean that I''ve accepted the unreasonable behaviour which the Petition was based on :(

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.