A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What do I need to get in my files for court?

  • LosingBattle
  • LosingBattle's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
29 Jul 12 #345972 by LosingBattle
Topic started by LosingBattle
Hi all,
Another question I''m afraid!!

I''m expecting to go to court in the next few months & have heard that I''m going to need to ''prepare my case file'' for either my solicitor or a barrister.

What do I need to put in this file? I''ve looked at the Ministry of Justice page, but it just says what order & how to label the files. It doesn''t say what I need to put in.

I''m going to court over child contact issues & financial matters.

I''m thinking the following, but please let me know if I''m way off!

Do I include my bank statements etc? Or just my evidence of the following?:

how badly my STBX is at handling finances (she''s had ccj''s, bad credit records, has taken loans.)
How she does not put the needs of the children first (threatening to move countries, withholding access, leaving the kids at home alone)
She has reneged on numerous agreements (children for xmas, paying off joint debts)
She makes up child contact agreements to suit herself (making demands & deadlines that are impossible to meet)
She behaves inappropriately & in a juvenile manner which is totally unacceptable as a mother & role model (twitter & FaceBook photos & comments, drinking & smoking around the kids)

Quite frankly the list is endless, but basically I want to get across those main points & want the judge to see that whilst I''ve been working my backside off to try & keep my head above water, she''s been sat at home & has done everything in her power to make my life as difficult as possible. Hopefully, this will sway things in my favour slightly!

  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Aug 12 #346627 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
are you acting for yourself? If not, speak to your solicitor and discuss with them what they want from you and what formwat they would like it in.

If you are going to court over finacial matters you will be directed by the court to file a form E - this sets out what information is needed and tells you what supporting docuemtns you need to attach to it.

In relation to children, at the first apoointment the corut wil consder what evidence it needs and will, if appropriate, direct you to file a statement.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.