A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Time Abridged for Service - Why?

  • u6c00
  • u6c00's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Sep 12 #356584 by u6c00
Topic started by u6c00
I am just asking this question out of curiosity, perhaps someone can help.

What is the point in making an application "time abridged for service"?

This happened in my case and I''m sure it was explained to me at the time but I can''t for the life of me remember the explanation or the reason why.

For me it meant that going in to the first hearing CAFCASS had not done their welfare checks and so only supervised contact could be agreed.

I''ve heard a few references to it while sitting in the court office waiting today and it just made me a bit curious.

  • TBagpuss
  • TBagpuss's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
18 Sep 12 #356586 by TBagpuss
Reply from TBagpuss
usually it''s becuase there is something which the applicant feels needs to be addressed urgently - for example, if the other parent has (or has threatened to) remove / not return a child, to change a child''s school or something else similar.

Sometimes it may be to add an application to an existing one - e.g. if you applied for residence, and the case had been listed for a 1st appointment, and the other person wished to make a cross-application they might apply for service to be abridged so that both applications were listed together.

Ocassionally it might be done if the applicant (or their solicitor) is aware that the court has huge delays, and knows of a cancellation (i.e. if they issue normally, the 1st appoitnment won''t be for 12 weeks because of court backlogs, if they abridge time for service they can get in next week when they already know there is some court time)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11