A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How are barristers supposed to work?

  • zwitter
  • zwitter's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
07 Oct 07 #4416 by zwitter
Topic started by zwitter
I went to a financial hearing met my barrister and spoke about the assets etc and what i wanted, then there was some toing and froing between rooms and they seemed to spend most time with my ex her solicitor and the 2 barristers?
I had the distinct impression I was getting done over.
I was asked questions regarding thing I would agree to pay etc in an itemised way yet Ive recently heard im expected to pay my ex a lump sum every month?
This isnt what I agreed to.
How and where do I stand?

  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
07 Oct 07 #4417 by Sera
Reply from Sera
They were probably hammering out the negotiating of a settlement. I think that's what the Hearings are for.

If you don't understand, just ask, you can still have your say, but if you pay for legal representation, you let them do their job!

You don't have to accept what they're negotiating, and you must have it explained before you agree to anything!

A 'lump sum' is usually a one-off payment. I think you're confusing the lump-sum with the monthly spousal support maybe?

  • zwitter
  • zwitter's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
07 Oct 07 #4418 by zwitter
Reply from zwitter
Because Ive now got a job and we live i the same house Hb and council tax benefit stops so Im being told to pay them
I dont mind that but theyre asking me to pay her?
She will just squander the money on other things, Id much rather pay direct. But this wasnt explained as being an option.

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 07 #4451 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Zwitter. I would do as sera suggests and just ask. Your solicitor will no the whys and wherefores. Forget what she spends it on. Thats her problem. Just make sure she cant come back for more. You dont want to be her gravy train. Chris

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11