A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • JLGsDad
  • JLGsDad's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
22 Oct 07 #5130 by JLGsDad
Topic started by JLGsDad
Can anyone help? I've researched on the net but can't find anything.
:)My wife gave me the choice, so I went to a local solicitor, took £600 fixed fee divorce and petitioned.
:)Wife got the petition & sent it back.
:)Wife finally agrees to mediation and we have first appointment (goes well).
:)I get letter from my sol with my wife's response, she agrees to divorce and her submission cracks me up: complete fiction (turns me into the Dad from Hell) and she forgot to fill in bit for her to confirm she is wife, so form has to go back.
:)First hearing mid-January.
:(Sol states won't do anything at all on ancillary relief and isn't part of fee.
:(I'm worried and don't know the best way to go: I don't want to waste time and money employing a new sol if there's an easier route (I have to take day off work for each appointment and I'm running out of holiday).

:SDo I need to do anything in her response to her response to the SOA?
:SDo I have to attend first hearing, do I need representation?
:SIf I agree in mediation, can my wife shaft me at the first hearing by placing demands and rejecting mediation agreement?
:unsure:Any other advice?

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Oct 07 #5135 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
In reply to your questions :

1. It is very unlikely that issues of conduct would affect the financial settlement ; but without seeing your wife's response I could not be definite. My inclination is to ignore it, but if you tell me more I might be able to comment further.
2.Yes, you have to be there. No, you don't need to be represented. It's pretty harmless ; the judge will review the information he or she has and may give directions to you, your wife, or both.
3. If you agree at mediation, the normal follow up would be that you would apply for a formal order from the Court incorporating the terms you have agreed. So there wouldn't be any need for a first hearing.
4. You wouldn't need a new solicitor ; but if you want any extra services not covered by the £600 fixed fee, you would have to pay extra. Still cheaper than going to a new solicitor, I would have thought, other things being equal.

Mike 100468

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
24 Oct 07 #5214 by gone1
Reply from gone1
I agree with Mike. I would stick with the sol you have. May I just add that its common to up the guilt and make you the dad from hell. She has to back up the poisen she is dealing out and this just backs it all up. She may be giving the kids the same. She can say "see it says it here that you were a total barstuard". Chris.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.