A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Spouse's Visa and Divorce

  • Kamau
  • Kamau's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
06 Nov 07 #6023 by Kamau
Topic started by Kamau
Hi all, my situation is as follows. I am a UK citizen. My wife is Kenyan. We got married in Kenya in October 2005. She and her son joined me in the UK in March 2006. She left the marital home in July 2007 and continues to work for an organisation in the UK. Her son is 15 and attends school. She now says she wants a divorce although her Sopouse's Visa expires after 8 March 2008. If she files for divorce now, does it allow enough time for the Decree Absolute to come through by then?

Also, what are her chances of getting a Work Permit from her employer to swich to when her Spouse's Visa expires?

Finally, does the court have jurisdiction if they leave the country?



Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.