A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can I process the divorce papers in her absence?

  • tiredofher
  • tiredofher's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Dec 07 #9264 by tiredofher
Topic started by tiredofher
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking to divorce and I really want to know whether I can process the divorce documents in her absence, once I have a separation document signed by both sides.

This is the situation. We've been married for about 6 months. I've been working in the UK for about 2 years, continuously, I'm still in the UK and won't leave soon. She has come in the UK on a spouse/dependent visa and has been living with me for about 4 months now.

These are the questions:
1. As we've been married for less than a year, probably we will go for annulment. What should I do in case we only need the annulment and how long does it usually take?
2. If we both sign a separation document before she leaves UK, would be possible for me to fully process further the documents (either annulment or divorce)?
3. If some other signatures are needed after she leaves UK, could a power of attorney document be helpful?


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.