A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What happens next?

  • noclue
  • noclue's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
01 Jan 08 #9803 by noclue
Topic started by noclue

Asked my husband to leave for a week or so yesterday as we have been having issues for a long time which have escalated recently. This led to, well not a row, basically him screaming at me as i refused to shout back & him saying he wished everyday i would die in a car crash. So i have decided to go for a divorce rather than separation!
Just wondering what i do next? Going to try to get see a solicitor ASAP. We have been married 2 1/2 years & have a 3 year old daughter. Have house with mortgage that i would like him to move out of.
Any advice re costs, timescales, further issues to be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Jan 08 #9816 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Hi noclue. People say bad things when they argue. Ok this is very bad. But are you sure you want to go thru with this? U have only been married 2 and a half years. Are you sure you cant sort this out? It would be a shame to bin it for a row. Marriage is supposed to be for life for better for worse. Divorce is a bad thing to do. No one wins realy except lawyers. Just be sure that you wont regret it later.

But if you want to divorce go and see a solicitor. Some give a half hour appointment free. Chris.

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Jan 08 #9837 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
Unless he is physically violent he does not have to leave till the divorce settlement is done.

This can take up to two years or more.

apply for divorce by issuing a petition.

Try mediation before full court proceedings as its cheaper.

If physically violent get non molestation order and occupation order.

You may contact orders for the child if agreement cant be reached.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.