A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

can I file?

  • averageguy999
  • averageguy999's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
03 Jan 08 #9875 by averageguy999
Topic started by averageguy999
My Thai wife left me over 2 years ago and went back to Thailand and I have had no contact with her since.
I don't know where she lives and believe she won't get in touch in the future. However I would like to divorce her so that that era of my life is over and done with.
I am NOT wanting to re-marry but just want to protect my belongings so that if anything happens they will go to my daughter and not her.
Can I file under deseration???? :dry:

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Jan 08 #9877 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
The solicitors here will be able to advise you better about desertion. But you can protect your daughter's inheritance now simply by making a will. I did it as soon as I started proceedings. There is a statement that you put in with it that says your wife has no claims as you are no longer living together - get the solicitor to draw that up for you so the form of words is correct.


  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Jan 08 #9878 by mike62
Reply from mike62
Unfortunately you would have to wait five years to file under desertion.

After 2 years you can file by mutual consent. Other than that it is Unreasonable Behaviour or Adultery.

To file for these reasons, the petition needs to be served on your wife, which sounds like it is unlikely.

As Sadie suggests, get a will made in favour of your daughter / family and excluding your former wife.

Best of luck


  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Jan 08 #9890 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
I think Mike is confusing separation without consent after 5 years with desertion. It's possible to petition when "the respondent has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition."

  • ariesgirl63
  • ariesgirl63's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
03 Jan 08 #9915 by ariesgirl63
Reply from ariesgirl63
Yes, you can file for desertion where your spouse deserted you without your consent for a continuous period of at least two years. I think, however, that this ground of divorce has been abolished in Scotland.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Jan 08 #9928 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
That's correct, desertion has been abolished in Scotland, although I think it's safe to assume averageguy999 lives in England or Wales otherwise he wouldn't need to wait beyond 2 years to divorce using separation without consent!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.