A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

re self repping & ex's family will/rushing divorce

  • ancona
  • ancona's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Feb 08 #13049 by ancona
Topic started by ancona
thinking of self repping as this might delay the divorce which i think i need 2 ... my wifes( soon x) father died 2 years ago and left a will unsigned thus the assets go to her mother,the origanal willwhich is in probate was leaving the majority of assets to my soon 2b x., it is my belief that after the divorce which she is keen to finalise asap all assets that were meant to go 2 her will. at this stage she is saying that she has 96p ....the property involved is 700k + ....my property equity is also in this region, as it is now,nothing is in her name and expects 300k lump sum approx.... as the mother is in ill health i believe the rush is on to complete/settle ... then her estate will not be part of the deal....the longer this goes on the less i believe she will ask 4 ...so wat im asking is how long or wat is the best way to delay or deal with this ps she also gets 2k per month from me and part time work so def not on hard times ..also if i self rep and go on the sick is this also a delaying tactic ( ps i do have a genuine health prob but bcause im self employed not much point in gettin a sick line as i will still have 2 work but can get if this will help ) .. hope some1 has a sensible ans as my last sol bill sub total was just over 5k and that was sept so getting a sub total now as if sol thinks thats it he might work out a higher bill as so far i have not got the barristers estimate yet that came on board pre xmas

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Feb 08 #13087 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
Not so sure self repping will delay things other than if you have petitioned or defending by cross petition.

Can be fruitless and expensive

With regard to the 'inheritance' appears there isn't any unsigned will cannot be used, although you know the contents, Mother might not have the same intentions.

If Mother doesn't make a will then can take up to 2 years and more to settle, even making a will takes a long time

My Father's will was pretty straightforward but it took 10 months to settle it.

Courts will take into account something that you might lose the benefit of, but they can't or won't wait for someone to pass away, as I am sure you can understand.

I do not understand how going sick will lengthen the divorce or 'ancillary relief' process, if anything you will have more time to deal with it.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.