A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.


  • buster0204
  • buster0204's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
09 Mar 08 #16250 by buster0204
Topic started by buster0204
My parter split with his wife over 5 years ago. After 2 she asked why he was not divorcing her. He took this opportunity to file for divorce or 2 years separation. She then decided to ignore the papers so he paid for bailiff services. Court wrote back and said cannot do as if 2 years and she agrees no need for papers. Now 5 years court explained that need to amend the papers to 5 years in red. Did this and paid fee. Court sent out asknowledgment. Not had anything back from his wife so applied for bailiff services again. Court has just written back saying cant have bailiff sves as not on benefit (dont know what this has to do with serving the papers and not on benefit anyway). Also a note that he has spotted an error on the petition, was not 5 years when filed original petition (not amended) but can file on 5 years. It is so confusing, I fell that if we ring the court they will not be helpful, maybe the judge has sent the letter regarding someone elses file as the amended petition was fine before now. Any advice on the bailiff services refusal or the change in petiton circumstances.

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Mar 08 #16504 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut

I know that the courts are not always super efficient. But i'm afraid you do need to just pick up the phone and discuss this with them.

You just need to point out that you are not on benefits and confirm your request that they go ahead with serving the petition.

If the court is suggesting that you must resubmit the petition now that the 5 years has passed - then I guess that is what you must do.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.