A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

can anyone please answer this in simple terms.

  • Ruby45
  • Ruby45's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
25 Mar 12 #320045 by Ruby45
Topic started by Ruby45
1:The parties have had a marriage ceremony in disregard of certain requirements as to the formation of the marriage?

2: The Petitioner will be barred from obtaining a decree of nullity if the Respondent can satisfy the Court that the Petitioner knew that the marriage could be avoided but conducted him or herself in such a way as for the Respondent to reasonably believe that they would not seek to do so. The Petitioner may also be barred from obtaining a decree of nullity if it would be unjust to the Respondent to do so.

Thank you

  • LadySMB
  • LadySMB's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
26 Mar 12 #320058 by LadySMB
Reply from LadySMB
Bump for legal advice

  • soulruler
  • soulruler's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Apr 12 #322145 by soulruler
Reply from soulruler
Maybe it would be helpful to have more background information. I am assuming that one party (petitioner in divorce) is stating that the marriage for some reason was entered into with the Petitioner not knowing some material fact or having been forced into the marriage in some way.

It may be considered unreasonable by the petitioner if the petitioner is seeking for a financial award despite saying the marriage was entered into either unlawfully or by force.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11