A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Writing direct to the Judge

  • autumn9
  • autumn9's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
09 Aug 12 #348354 by autumn9
Topic started by autumn9
Would be interested to hear other Wiki''s views on this. Long long journey through the courts. I self represent, ex has solicitor named on file although does not respond to correspondence I send. Very fragile incident happened last week whilst the children were having contact and I would like to make the Judge aware of the situation. We have a further Directions hearing in Septemeber but do not wish to leave my concerns until then. Difficult to post considering the sensitivity of the incident. Many thanks

  • zonked
  • zonked's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Aug 12 #348402 by zonked
Reply from zonked
It''s a little difficult to reply. My feeling is that writing directly to the judge is not an option. You could perhaps write to the solicitor and copy the court into your correspondence or write to the solicitor and at a future hearing provide a position statement with your letter as an appendix.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
09 Aug 12 #348406 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Its not an easy one to know what to do for sure.

Most judges wont reply to a single litigant, even if they do they make the other side aware of what was written.

So if you do write to a judge serve the same on the other side, in some circumstances an issue can raise its ugly head that the judge needs to be aware of, particularly if for example the next court hearing is Directions meaning you may not have time to raise the issue.

Another reason to write would be for example if something happened that considered serious, but the next hearing was months away, if you left it would the judge really think you thought it was that serious.

All said Zonked may well be right, it could be a futile exercise, nothing ventured nothing gained though.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11