A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help going to court over a Financial Settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support for people who are going to court over a fair financial settlement, for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Self Rep - Is it advisable?

  • KazzyG69
  • KazzyG69's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
04 Sep 12 #353673 by KazzyG69
Topic started by KazzyG69
I''ve been waiting for Legal Aid to come through for ages and was turned down for it once before in December but I feel that this was due to a very unsupportive Solicitor.

After going through 2 yrs of stress, upset and lack of support or legal advice, I finally took matters into my own hands and changed the front door lock to my home.
(I jointly own with my STBX, but he lives away all week and pops home to do his washing ironing etc, not paying anything towards the home for 9 months now.) We cannot live in the same house together, so at w/e myself and my two children are forced to move in with my parents until the Monday when he returns to work!
Having had enough of this, and lack of response from Women''s Aid and the new solicitor I have sought out, I changed the lock yesterday after asking for advice on here.
I know when he comes back on Friday and tries to get in, he will go straight to his solicitor. She will drag me to court, but as I am unrepresented, I really am worried about how I will fare in Court. I''ve come up against her before when we got an Occupancy Order and she is - well, shall we say, very good at her job!! I feel if I have to self rep, I will surely lose as she knows all the correct terminology and will wipe the floor with me!
I''m pretty scared right now!

  • sim5355
  • sim5355's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Sep 12 #353674 by sim5355
Reply from sim5355
hi! i am glad you have started to do something, like i said before you are on your own.Get ready for a big showdown but at the end of the day you cannot live like this or your children.When he shows up on friday and when he starts tell him you will call the police.If he goes to the solicitor fine at the very least you can put your case to a judge if it gets that far in the mean time you will be free of his harassment at the end of the day what have you got to lose just gain your sanity .Don''t be under any illusion this is going to be easy but there comes a time you have to stand up to this bully.xx

  • KazzyG69
  • KazzyG69's Avatar Posted by
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
04 Sep 12 #353675 by KazzyG69
Reply from KazzyG69
Yes this is very true. I think he will call the police out Friday, I''m only worried about going up against him and his solicitor in court. For us I''ve done the right thing, I know that now. I''ve put up with it for months and months. I actually asked for a divorce in July 2010!!! Can you believe that?? This site is amazing..... I wish I had known about this back then! xx

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.