A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

how soon is too soon?

  • magnet
  • magnet's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
06 Jan 08 #10121 by magnet
Topic started by magnet
hi just been looking at the divorce procedure as I plan to petition on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour. We split up a couple of months ago and he moved out shortly after. We`ve been on the rocks for the past year at least and I wondered whether I should go for it and get it over and done with then pick up the pieces or wait until I feel a bit stronger? We`ve agreed everything re the child, house, car etc in a draft Consent Order which we both signed so I can`t see it being a nasty process, I plan to do the majority (except consent and Clean Break) myself and was wondering if those self repping think it`s straight forward enough? Thanks in advance

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Jan 08 #10147 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Yours sounds straight forward. If you feel ready I would get on with it. Some people dont start the process of recovory until the divorce is done and dusted. Only you know what type of person you are. It will still take a while to get divorced as the courts are very busy. So you may as well start. Assume that it will be a tough time and everything is a bonus if it just sails thru. Good luck and come back and tell us how you got on. Be strong. Chris.

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Jan 08 #10157 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
If you are both in agreement its very straightforward.

Still best to get the consent order and absolute done by a sol.

Should only cost about £500 all in.

  • magnet
  • magnet's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
07 Jan 08 #10169 by magnet
Reply from magnet
thanks guys,

yeah was thinking of getting a sol to cast an eye over my completed petition and get them ready to do the consent etc once acknowledged, I can`t see any point in hanging around he seems pretty set on the divorce and I`m only beating myself up hoping he`ll come back and woo me when really there wasn`t much to save. He`s been married before so potentially it`s easier for him to walk away and he`s walked away from the child from his first marriage too which obviously I don`t want to happen this time, but there is only so much s**t you can take, I`m having to learn to bite my tongue!!!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.