A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

attending hearings

  • brandon22
  • brandon22's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
13 Jan 08 #10569 by brandon22
Topic started by brandon22
hi, I`m currently going through a divorce as the respondant, I have recently left the army after 22yrs and relocated back to county durham, my ex still lives in aldershot some 400 miles away, as she is the applicant I have to attent Aldershot county court, I cannot afford to finance trips to aldershot at a cost of £200 and two days from work, can anyone advise me if I can appeal????

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Jan 08 #10575 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
from my experience i am the petitioner and i left the FMH as he refused i have the kids i moved 120 miles away and still travel to court as thats where initial application filed, where is your sol are they prepared to travel..it may be costly
I think if you write to court explain the situation as you dont n theory haveto attend but go against you if you dont
Hope you reach some arrangement as stressful travelling to court really is

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
13 Jan 08 #10582 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
The Courts have a policy where parties some distance away from court can "attend" by telephone conference

Speak to the Court Manager for the County Court at Aldershot

For the 1st Appointment it should be possible but not for the FDR

The general rules are that both parties should attend unless permission given by the Court

  • Jacko
  • Jacko's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
13 Jan 08 #10589 by Jacko
Reply from Jacko
Hi Brandon

Welcome to Wiki.

I to am the respondent in a divorce. As already advised write to the court manager and make them aware of your situation.

In my case the court were already aware that I live some 230 miles from the County Court in Torquay.

I recently had a court hearing, which I attended. Though when the court wrote to me notifying me of the hearing date I was given the option to only make written representation should I choose?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.