A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

New relationships

  • Annie76
  • Annie76's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Jan 08 #10631 by Annie76
Topic started by Annie76
My husband and i have been separated for three and a half months. He wants to come back but i dont want this. He says he wants a formal agreement that i wont start dating anyone else for at least six months. Can he do this? What are my rights? He says he will "take me to the cleaners" if i do start seeing anyone.

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jan 08 #10647 by mike62
Reply from mike62

I don't know the circumstances of your separation, but what I would say is that he isn't entitled to make any such demands upon you.

However, that said, my wife decided that we were separating nearly 12 months ago. Neither she nor I have started seeing anyone else. I actually have no desire to be seeing anyone else. I need to be alone for a time, to find me again.

Everyone is different.

I guess you have to ask yourself the question of how much interaction or co-operation will be needed between you and your soon-to-be-ex-husband over the coming months - if little or none, than give it to him straight - it's just none of his business.

However, if there are child, family, housing or financial matters to be agreed or dealt with directly with him, I would be inclined not to rub his nose in it. A formal agreement IMHO is just plain silly. Only you can answer that question.

Best of luck


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.