A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

School Fees

  • felthorpe
  • felthorpe's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Jan 08 #10655 by felthorpe
Topic started by felthorpe
:unsure:I wonder if anyone has any experience of my situation. My ex and I had a Clean Break settlement and he now just pays maintenance for our 3 children.
Last year we put all three into private school, he agreed to this but hasn't and now won't sign the contract as being jointly responsible for the fees. So far he has paid nearly 50% of the fees and acknowledged in writing to me for the first term, that this money was for the fees. He gives me a cheque rather than paying the school direct but he has made the cheque a couple of hundred short!. I have to pay for the balance and the extras and uniform.
He is also behind on his maintenance payments (he just hasn't increased them as per the court order)and when I have asked for this to be rectified, he has pointed to the school fees cheque and said that he feels he has 'fulfilled his financial responsibilities'.
We have a detailed court order for the maintenance payments but nothing through the court for school fees.
He is however more than able to pay.
I do not know what to do next and cannot get him to discuss this with me.
My main questions are:
Are school fees seen as a separate issue to maintenance?
Can he lump them together like this to get out of his maintenance responsibilities?
Is he responsible for the school fees even though he has paid me rather than the school and won't sign anything?
Do I need to apply to the courts to regularise it and what are my chances of getting an order?
A lot to ask I know, has anyone any experience of a situation similar to this?
Thanks, i'm frustrated as hell as this is for the children not for me!!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.