A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

moving house

  • megan
  • megan's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Jan 08 #10690 by megan
Topic started by megan
My husband left in Nov as is having an affair. i am divorcing him for adultery as he was otherwise going to divorce me for unreasonable behaviour. I feel I am rushing in to this but am not ready to sell the house yet.We were together 36years the children are adults and i live alone in the house. I earn more than he does and although we have around £350000 equity in the house after the mortgage is paid, it wont be enough when split to buy anything in the area. a 2 up 2 down terrace is about £280000 . Should I just sit tight until ready to move or will legal bills start to rise if husband gets impatient.

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Jan 08 #10706 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Hi Megan. Sorry to here your plight. I would sit tight and see what happens. There are plenty of properties around for less than 280K. You may have to move out of the area. But do you need all this space? I have a 3 bed house and its a pain to look after. I would love a small 2 bed flat. Chris

  • megan
  • megan's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Jan 08 #10737 by megan
Reply from megan
if only i had 280k left. No when split husband wants his half I am left with about 160-170k if house sells. It seems so unfair that i have to move to an area in which I don't know anyone when i have already lost everything. My children both live away so would need a house big enough for them to stay when they visit.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.