A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

House can't be sold til the kids are 18?

  • 42 the meaning of life
  • 42 the meaning of life's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 Jan 08 #10831 by 42 the meaning of life
Topic started by 42 the meaning of life
Hopefuly a quick one this!

If a couple split and divorce, does the former marital home have to be sold to split its assets.

Is it true that if one parent is still living in the home with the children, that the home can't be sold until the kids are 18?


  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Jan 08 #10837 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Not quite such a simple question as you think !

The Court has a statutory duty to consider the interests of the child(ren) as a priority. This can often mean that the parent with care ( usually but not necessarily the wife ) may get the right to live there until she remarries or the youngest child attains 18. So yes, it is a definite possibility.

But an immediate sale might be ordered even if there are children ; for example if the parent with care couldn't afford to live there even with such support as might be available ; or if the house was manifestly larger than
necessary for the needs of the PWC and any children; and so on.

Another possibility is that the PWC might be able to buy the other out.

No two cases are the same, all depends on the circumstances, but the over-riding objective is and remains to make sure the parties have a home.


  • bridget de jour
  • bridget de jour's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
16 Jan 08 #10839 by bridget de jour
Reply from bridget de jour
From what my solicitor said, it depends if there is enough equity in the house for the partner (who the children are living with) to buy a suitable property in a similar area.

So it does depend on the financial circumstances

  • soulmanuk
  • soulmanuk's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
16 Jan 08 #10848 by soulmanuk
Reply from soulmanuk
there is not enough capitol in my FMH for me to buy another home in the same area for me and the kids and my sol told me to sell and rent a house, the stbx is already living with her new partner so her housing needs are met. i cant afford to buy her out, i cant afford the rents and i cant get a mortgage what can i do?

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Jan 08 #10852 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
Soulmanuk ask the court for a mesher order till the kids are 18 so you can stay in your present house.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.