A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

return of personal family possesions

  • future
  • future's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Jan 08 #11189 by future
Topic started by future
I split up with my partner a year ago and move out of the house, however I have not been able to retrieve my personal possesions (ie photos, bank statement, my deceased parents personal items)
My ex has changed the locks and it would appear that her solicitor is not responding to our requests
Is an order to deliver up the only course of action ? or is it possible to get these items via any other route?
Advise appreciated

  • Esmey
  • Esmey's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Jan 08 #11203 by Esmey
Reply from Esmey
i would be grateful to know as well as i am away and have been locked out of my house and no access to anything. I think i would need to make sure i stay in the house but it seems hard on the children to watch us fight. my concern if i stay at my friends when i return back to the country that i will have no access. he says the solicitor says that is right. i am frigtened. I only found out today.

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jan 08 #11211 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
I too moved out so confused didnt really know what i was and wasnt taking, but have had no way to get back for personal and kids stuff..he changed locks
short of breaking in to my own house i thnk ill be letting courts call it into account as alot of stuff left

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Jan 08 #11214 by gone1
Reply from gone1
When I was at court the other day I was asked if I had any possessions left at my FMH when I signed the Clean Break order. As once the order was in place it was impossible to retrieve them. I dont have anything left there so I said no. But the order states (among other things) that each set of furniture belonged to the respective party. So once the order is in place thats that. I would list the items that you want back and when you go back to court put it to the judge that you want these items and it should be possible to attach it to the order. Hope this helped. Chris.

  • Elle
  • Elle's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
20 Jan 08 #11227 by Elle
Reply from Elle
I also moved out confused and taking nothing, the court order for delivery of my personal belongings resulted in a few broken/damaged items covered in slugs and worms piled in the centre of the fh garden in the dark and rain with a wedding picture on top......acc to sol nothing could be done....however I look back and laugh at the insanity of it now.....in time we can move on from most of the hazy crazy days of divorce

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Jan 08 #11228 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
If your name is on the deeds then you can legally break in to obtain your possessions.

If you are not on the deeds you could have home rights and in that case you can submit an order of occupation.

Again if your name is not on the deeds then you can apply to the Land Registry for a charge over the property, the form is a simple one to complete and does not cost anything to submit

In my case the FMH is in my wife's name and has been for over 7 years, I found the Land Registry number by paying £3.00 to them and then completed form HR1, which is the Home Rights form.

They returned a certificate within 2 working days and that now shows a charge over the property in my name also.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.