A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What am I entitled to ?

  • fionafound1
  • fionafound1's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Jan 08 #11195 by fionafound1
Topic started by fionafound1
My husband & I have been married just short of 3 years. I am wanting a divorce due to me meeting someone else, and also due to my husband's large debt which involves both secured & unsecured loans all in his name. He owns the house, but we both have a car each that we own seperatley. No kids involved. What will I be entitled to ? Will I get half of the estate ?

  • sexysadie
  • sexysadie's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Jan 08 #11196 by sexysadie
Reply from sexysadie
You are very unlikely to get half of the estate after such a short marriage, unless you lived together for a long time before that. Usually you would get what you came in with after such a short time, so he will keep the house.


  • fionafound1
  • fionafound1's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
20 Jan 08 #11198 by fionafound1
Reply from fionafound1
I have been advised by family, friends and colleagues that I am entitled to half as this is the case now ? Is this not so ?

  • TMax
  • TMax's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Jan 08 #11199 by TMax
Reply from TMax
debts in marriage are also shared equily :(

  • peterc
  • peterc's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
20 Jan 08 #11205 by peterc
Reply from peterc
why not walk away and leave the man with some dignity? - YOU had the affair, YOU want to leave after such a short marriage, stop being a money grabber and treat your husband with some respect!

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jan 08 #11209 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
ouch...thats a bit harsh peter.!!!

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Jan 08 #11230 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
Agree with Peterc - Give the man some respect

Married less than 3 years, to someone who owns his home, OK has some debts not an excuse to find someone else.

You say you want the divorce, on what grounds, you can't divorce your H on your adultery

The debts in question were they mounted up as joint benefit, holidays, cars, socialising etc...if they were then you have benefited from them

If I were you I would just walk away with your hat and coat and move in with the other one

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.