A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

VISA status after divorce

  • needadvice
  • needadvice's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 Jan 08 #11515 by needadvice
Topic started by needadvice
Hi Guys,

I am an Indian national and am married to a UK citizen. I am a professional and before marriage have worked in UK,US and Germany. All this while, I was on work permit sponsored by my employers.

I met my present wife and got married, the last thing I had in mind when I did that was that I will be here on this forum and posting this question. The other thing which I hadnt expected and thought about was my VISA status if we get divorced.

We havent completed 1 year of our marriage yet. I am on spouce VISA (limited leave to remain for 2 years). I can easily qualify for HSMP. My question is, can I apply for HSMP given the fact that I am not yet divorced? Is switching allowed between marriage visa and HSMP? For how long can I stay in UK if we get divorced? The situation is particularly tough for me as I am potentially staring at a emotional and a financial turmoil should we get divorced and I loose my right to work here.


  • NonMolest
  • NonMolest's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
23 Jan 08 #11535 by NonMolest
Reply from NonMolest
Hi DT,

first of all since ur marriage is not 1 yr long, noone can apply for a divorce here in UK, but u can get separated whenever u want to. As u r on spousal visa and Ur spousal visa will not be valid from the day when both of u will separate, Home office will see you as an individual and not as dependent of ur spouse because you are not living together as a husband and wife.

As you said, u can easily get HSMP, go for it asap. yes you can switch between different categories whenevr u chosses to do so.

If any more help required, send me a private meesage with ur contact details, i will contact u.

take care

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.