A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

who pays what?

  • megan
  • megan's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Jan 08 #12280 by megan
Topic started by megan
Could be a while before I get the answer to this as my H has stoped paying the bill and I am waiting for reconnection.
He told me I have to start paying half the mortgage but the letter from his sol. says I should continue paying half the household costs. I already pay everything except the mortgage. If I include my car which we agreed to in June but got 3 weeks before he left I am paying £1200 per month and he £750. Who owes who? we take home the same.I am living in the FMH he with family member till he moves in with her.

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Feb 08 #12704 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut

You are stuck in the grey zone between marriage and divorce.

When you are married you share everything. Once you are divorced the court orders will determine who pays what.

But right now...there are no formal rules.

You just need to try and co-operate sensibly.

If he is not playing ball and you are stuck with high expenses and little income then there are only a couple of things you can do:

1) Is the obvious...to cut back on things as much as you can.

2) Is the more formal...make an application to the court for him to pay you interim maintenance until the final financial agreement is settled. Perhaps even telling him that you may be forced to go to court for interim maintenance may make him see sense and pay you some more each month.

3) Also make sure that you are receiveing all of the benefits that you are entitled to: check out www.entitledto.co.uk

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11