A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

What to do

  • Angel557
  • Angel557's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Feb 08 #12528 by Angel557
Topic started by Angel557
I have'nt had much faith in my sol and can't change as i was told legal aid would look at my merits.We have our repeat FDR next month, he is claiming to be living with a friend of a friend i have proof of the tenancy and a letter from the said friend to say he is not living there.His new form E where he has started a new company still as a sub contractor he has not shown his buisness bank accounts he did with his first form E ( old companey bank accounts) but not this time round his earnings have dropped considerly, why has the sol not asked for the buisness bank accounts how can it be a full and frank disclosure if he has'nt had to supply this , he has not been asked of spending large sums ,he also has shown a new bank account and it shows he has lived on £40 in 3 months which is impossible, do i go back to my sol or do i ask the barrister whom i have faith in to bring it up.What do i do with this proof of where he lives let the sol know or give it to the barrister at the FDR ?

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Feb 08 #12529 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Angel. AFAIK the barister is just a mouthpiece. They are good at arguing. They take the lead from the solicitor. The sol should know all about your case. You should be having some input on disclosure. Demand it. Remember client instructs and solicitor acts on the instructions. Just becuase you are LA doesent mean you get a second rate service. Chris

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 Feb 08 #12534 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008

You need to have faith in your solicitor because he/she is your only help in trying to pursue your claim try and get back into a working relationship with him/her and remember they are working for you despite legal assistance

Provide your solicitor with the proof of tenancy you have and any other information like the letter from your friend to support your claim

I see a problem with the Form E, as he has set up a new company he does not have to officially provide company accounts for up to two years, but he should be able to provide interim accounts to support his income and outgoings, (I suspect though that even if he did this, it would be whitewashed over)

Full and frank disclosure is only what someone puts forward and they may well leave out things that cannot be tracked down

Write down your concerns and list them independently to your solicitor and do so well before the FDR, shown each concern by numbering it and ask your solicitor to enquire on each item and to ensure that all the items are asked of your ex in court or prior to the hearing.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.