A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Access to house

  • madabout
  • madabout's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
10 Jul 07 #1272 by madabout
Topic started by madabout
My ex left to live with her. He says he has the right to unlimited access to our house. Whilst I accept that he has a right to access as he still part owns it does he have the right to enter at any time or do I ahve the right to ask for this to be reasonable and convenient to me?

Awaiting reply from lawyer - but would like your views.

  • Dockley
  • Dockley's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
10 Jul 07 #1273 by Dockley
Reply from Dockley
Hi again Madabout

Yes you are correct that he has rights of access, however it would be unreasonable for him to turn up unannounced and without reason.

If he wishes to collect/remove belongings then you should agree mutually convenient dates/times for this.

It is common courtesy to attend the property with agreement from yourself and you should remind him of this if relations are to remain amicable between you.

I would also suggest that you do not do anything drastic either, such as changing the locks. This will prevent the sitatuion from escalating. If you are concerned that he turns up "with other intentions" then you would be able to call the police if you felt there would be a breach of the peace.

My ex turned up unannounced, let herself in, and even came into the bathroom to start an argument whilst I was taking a bath!!!
It cost me £35 in a solicitors letter to advise her that this is not the way to carry on and politely ask her to show some common courtesy!! Can you imagine the allegations I would have exposed myself to had roles been reversed in this situation?

Lets hope he can be sensible about things


  • madabout
  • madabout's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
11 Jul 07 #1302 by madabout
Reply from madabout
It has got worse. I am away this weekend and he is now saying he will stay there.
As the police were called in the first instance I am now seeking an occupation order.

  • Tinny
  • Tinny's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Jul 07 #1303 by Tinny
Reply from Tinny
Hi madabout
Dockley is correct from a legal point of view so theres nothing I can really add.

It should be all about common courtesy really. I wouldnt have dreamt about letting myself into FMH without telling Ex. Within the next few weeks I am hoping to remove some more personal items, it would have been easier to do this while he was on holiday but didnt think it appropriate. I need to build up trust because at the end of the day we will need to communicate about the kids for a long time to come and I dont want it to get more difficult than it already is.

From your post it appears you are already getting legal advice. I hope it works out for you and you have a worry free weekend.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.