A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

i am paying for everything - should i be?

  • simply mark
  • simply mark's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
04 Feb 08 #12803 by simply mark
Topic started by simply mark
i left my wife 5 months ago and set up home with a new partner. my ex and i have been married for 26 years but there are no dependent children. i take home £3000 and my ex £500. we have savings of around £12K, which are in my ex's name although i paid for them. at present i am paying all the bills for my ex - mortgage, utilities, insurance, car, food, new glasses, speeding fine, etc and also i am having to pay 50/50 with my new partner. as you can imagine this leaves me with very little money. i asked my ex to move some money form the savings into our joint account [yes my pay still paid into a joint account] as i want to visit family in poland. i admit i have been away twice, cheap breaks to france. she has refused to move any money, although she still does the social things she wants to do. when i asked her why the money was so low in our account she said she had moved her pay and £700 into the savings account to replace money that had been spent.

am i wrong to say this is out of order? if so what can i do about it?

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
04 Feb 08 #12807 by mike62
Reply from mike62
Suggest that you set up a new personal bank account and have your wages paid into that. Then calculate regular outgoings and set up a standing order to transfer appropriate amount each month. Tell you wife that this is what you are doing.

Get yourself and wife to mediation to agree a fair interim solution until finances can be resolved finally.

Have either you or wife petitioned yet?

Best of luck


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.