A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Help. Want to move courts

  • kitten44
  • kitten44's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
06 Feb 08 #13034 by kitten44
Topic started by kitten44
My husbands x is taking him back to court for more sm after 4 years.
The original divorce was heard at a court 30 miles away.
We have since found out that her sol has alot of the judges 'in his pocket', this has come from a reliable source.
We have asked the case to be heard locally as both parties live & work locally. The court has agreed but her sol & the x will not consent, they have not given reasons. Where do we stand now.

  • Josh2008
  • Josh2008's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Feb 08 #13038 by Josh2008
Reply from Josh2008
I find it absolutely incredible that your 'reliable source' has anything other than a bad feeling about this court and the Judges that preside in it.

What on earth could this solicitor gain by using one court over another, what appears to have happened is that your husbands ex's solicitor doesn't want to travel the 30 odd miles as opposed to her.

Try not to believe that simple court processes are anything other than an attempt to correct imbalances in maintenance and matrimonial financial matters.

  • Elle
  • Elle's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
06 Feb 08 #13068 by Elle
Reply from Elle
I recently moved from the juridiction where my case has been lanquishing for near 8 yrs. The courts assured me that i can request my case is moved due to my relocating but this can be opposed by x as his sol will have to travel and as x's sol conducts several cases flyin about like batman he will strongly oppose this....oops the court didnt say that latter point...i did. However ...there is a possibility that the court my case is in might be glad to see the back of it....but the cost and delay of having it moved have pressed me to stay put for now...sometimes better with the devil you know......

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Feb 08 #13112 by gone1
Reply from gone1
I cant believe that a judge can be in someones pocket. Chris

  • kitten44
  • kitten44's Avatar Posted by
  • Senior Member
  • Senior Member
07 Feb 08 #13182 by kitten44
Reply from kitten44
I would like not to believe it also.
We have been given this advice and information by a solicitor, not ours, i may add. He was speaking independantly and has been known to my husband for some time, the xs sol reputation preceeded him.
My husband has less time to spare than this solicitor and needs 6 weeks notice for time off.He has a very important job and peoples lives depend on it.
Already he is unable to attend court on the suggested date that has been put forward. He needs to stay within 10 miles of his work.
I logged on for some advice how to move this forward ?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11