A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

How quick does a non molestation order take

  • twinks
  • twinks's Avatar Posted by
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
12 Feb 08 #13630 by twinks
Topic started by twinks
Filed for divorce last week and knew that I would probably have to get a non molestation and occupancy order, due to agression and threats and the fact that our 2 special needs kids are hearing his threats.

He has just gone out and I really will need one asap, can they be done in a day. How do I go about it?

  • TMax
  • TMax's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Feb 08 #13631 by TMax
Reply from TMax
I think that the length of time depends on the circumstances. In an emergency a Court can consider an application immediately without the other person knowing about it. Best bet is to call you Sol now and they will tell you if you can do an emergency application.


  • susanne1
  • susanne1's Avatar
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Feb 08 #13634 by susanne1
Reply from susanne1
go and see the police....they have sorted my husband out under similar circumstances, told him to stay out of the house and issued him with an anti harassment notice...means i can dial 999 whenever he breaks the terms and comes into the house without my permission.

The police are extremely hot on domestic violence this month, so will be sympathetic and helpful, not sure how long this attitude will last, but my advice is take advantage of it and file a formal complaint. Even if they don't do anything, it is lodged and will be taken into account in any later proceedings.

You just need to free up several hours to go and make a statement.
best of luck

  • SuperStepDad
  • SuperStepDad's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
21 Feb 12 #313740 by SuperStepDad
Reply from SuperStepDad
We got one in one day and frankly it was not difficult. The bar is set bery low for getting one. You can get one on an ex-parte (without notice to the other party). All you need do is fill the forms out and type up a statement and go to the court at around 11am.

Speak to the listing officer and say it is an emergency. They might try and get you to go away, but just take a book and expect to sit waiting for a long time.

We eventually got in front of a judge at around 3:30p, read the statement and it took about 15 minutes.

Since it carries power of arrest, you need to get a process server to serve it on the other party. This cost about £90. They will go to the other parties home (or work) and serve it on them. They will supply you with a signed affidavit to say they have done this, since it only comes into effect when served. Then send copies to the local police station and they will put it on file.

Practically, if the other party does not like it and wants it revoked, they will fill out an FL403 to discharge, with an associated statement which they are obligated to show you in advance of the hearing to over turn.

By virtue of the court timetable, this will be many months. At least 2-3 months before another hearing.

It is very difficult thing to overturn, since you would be asking for the right to do things that you should not really be doing. It is best to just comply with it. I have no doubt that they are sometimes issued out of spite, however as long as you comply with it there shouldn''t be a problem. I mean how can you go into court and ask for the right to go to the FMH when you do not need to?

  • .Charles
  • .Charles's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Feb 12 #313744 by .Charles
Reply from .Charles
When the court grants an ex parte order, a return hearing is listed at the same time which should be within a week or two.

At the return hearing the respondent, if they show up, has the opportunity to challenge the order and if the matter cannot be settled by undertakings (promises to the court not to harass or pester) the matter will be listed for a final hearing.

The bar for injunctions is not set low, the applicant has to demonstrate that their application ''has legs'' otherwise the court will dismiss it. Similarly, if the application is not actually an emergency the judge will bend your ear and kick the application out as the emergency list is for, well, emergencies.


  • SuperStepDad
  • SuperStepDad's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
21 Feb 12 #313745 by SuperStepDad
Reply from SuperStepDad
In our case no return hearing was listed. He had to apply. This was done 4 weeks ago and we still have no notification of when the hearing will be, which is good for us.

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
21 Feb 12 #313748 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Strictly speaking return hearings should be booked at the time, they always were in the past, these days not all courts do, time and lack of resources the usual problem.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.