A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Comes and goes

  • bellister
  • bellister's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
15 Feb 08 #13955 by bellister
Topic started by bellister
I am at my wits end, my husband commited adultry and now i am divorcing him, only a few weeks in so far. We live at same house still owned jointly. However he states his solicitor says he can come and go as he pleases, ok i accepted this . However he lives at his mothers most of the time nad arrives back at our house in the middle of the night, wanders around the house for about 30 mins and then dissaperears back to i assume his mothers. His lover lives in spain so he is not going there yet.

So my question is can he just arrive in the dead of the night , stop for about 15 mins, frighten me as i have no warning, i live on my own. House is in joint name. He does not physical threaten me , it all verbal but still this entering the house at strange times does worry me.

Any help ?

  • mike62
  • mike62's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Feb 08 #13961 by mike62
Reply from mike62
He is behaving completely unreasonably. It would seem to be a control thing.

Have you started divorce proceedings yet?

Yes, he does have a right of entry, but reasonable is the keyword.

If he is causing you undue stress or worry, you could seek an occupation order, or a non-molestation order. That would stop him from entering at all.

If you are using a solicitor, get them to write to him, explaining that this is causing you distress and asking him to only enter the house between 09:00 and 21:00. If you are not using a solicitor, write to him yourself and keep a copy.

If he continues after you have written to him, get the locks changed. He could break in, provided the police were present, but the police do not like to get involved in domestic disputes like this.

Keep a log of when he comes and goes, dates, times duration, and if he continues to do this and you do seek an order to stop him, you have some very strong evidence.

It is a very unpleasant situation to be in, and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

Best of luck


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.