A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Questions after questions

  • Lynton
  • Lynton's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
30 Apr 07 #140 by Lynton
Topic started by Lynton
Back ground - I am the Applicant in a long case commenced in Feb 2004, I secured residency of my two youngest children in July 2006 (ex wife is acoholic), the oldest also lives with me and Decree Absolute was secured in August 2006. The case has been listed for three FDRs which have been adjourned by the respondents application, has been heard at one FDR, had the final hearing adjourned at appeal and the procedure recomenced from directions and has now had a further two FDRs adjourned again on the respondants application.

Due to costs to myself having exceeded £30000.00 I started to represent myself in April 2006 and have bent over backwards to answere the respondents questions but each time I provide information new questions are forth comming which the Court then requires that I answere by Order.

The main items outstanding are valuations of a number of properties and three businesses - these have previously been valued and or value of my interest agreed but the respondent now insists these are out of date, rejects application of an index and insists on new valuations which can not be funded. I have proposed sale of joint life policys to raise the funds for the valuations but the respondent rejects this proposal.

The constent stress I am under in dealing with the case is having a negative effect on my relationships with my children, new partner and business partners.

I am at my wits end as to how to proceed and bring this nightmare to an end.

When can I refuse to answere more questrions provide further bank statments etc - there must be a cut off esspecialy given the fact that I am divourced and must be entitled to some privicy and room to rebuild my childrens and my own life.

How can I force the Court to bring this to an end?

  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
05 May 07 #167 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
This situation is not uncommon.

There are quite often delays in the overall process (for many reasons) and this gives ample opportunity to over zealous parties to request reams of disclosure and for earlier disclosure to get out of date.

One tactic that works is to reply as much as possible to new questionaires by referring to the court bundle:
this question has already been answered see page 123 of the court bundle.

When you have a 20 question sheet and 18 of the answers say (see page XXX of court bundle) it becomes quite obvious that questions are being repeated.

As for when things are out of date - we are aware that items such as Pension CETVs are good for 12 months - but bank statements may need to be reproduced if they are 3 or more months out of date.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.