A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

is it right?

  • jule
  • jule's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
28 Feb 08 #15221 by jule
Topic started by jule
we have been married for 22 years and now splitting up. we have 3 kids aged 19 and working aged 16 and in college and aged 13 in school. he takes home about £ 1760 and i earn about £ 760. he is looking for a flat and thinks we should try to keep the house until our youngest has left school.all very good. he is offering me to pay the mortgage if i would pay all the other household bills including the credit card which is about £200 a month.if iam lucky i might be left with £5oo a month to live on with the kids.he things i would be better of this way then if he would otherwise just have to pay maintenaince for the kids which would be less.

  • Specialdad
  • Specialdad's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Feb 08 #15222 by Specialdad
Reply from Specialdad
Best to get it all down on paper.

Try mediation where they will sort out the assets and liabilities and then you can get it into a Consent Order.

Seperation agreement outlining the child maintenance and any other contributions he has to make while children under 18 is best.

If house is in joint names and he moves out look out for capital gains tax implications.

Talk to mortgage company about the arrangement.

Best to get some good legal advice before signing anything.

After the above have a stiff drink. ;)

  • loobyloo
  • loobyloo's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Feb 08 #15224 by loobyloo
Reply from loobyloo
you need something cast iron re his prposals jule.

Its all well and goog til reality hits him, you are ost definately entitled to cm and prob sm...probably paying mortgage is the softer option for him
Go to one of these free 1st consultation sols, then stick on here as loads of legal and knowledgable folk to steer you through, and others for support and the benefit of their experiences in this sea of heartache
regards looby

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11