A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

help anc. relief

  • megan
  • megan's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Feb 08 #15303 by megan
Topic started by megan
Having made various offers to me on financial split each of which he withdraws after his weekend with her I get home to find a letter from his sol. unless I agree to a 50/50 split within 7 days H will issue proceedings for Ancillary Relief. Covering letter from my sol says he can't do that as we haven't started divorce proceeings.She advises I agree to nothing untill financial disc.
I'm guessing he wants to move things fast as she is moving back to this area and they plan to move in together. I earn about £7000 per a more than him but prior to sept took home the same.Could i come out with less than 50/50.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Feb 08 #15426 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
It depends on the particular circumstances relevant to your case such as length of marriage and whether or not you have children. First step is disclosing all the his/her/joint assets and debts to determine the size of the 'pot.' Then the assets are shared according to the principles of s25 Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 available at www.statutelaw.gov.uk/

  • attilladahun
  • attilladahun's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Feb 08 #15434 by attilladahun
Reply from attilladahun
She advises I agree to nothing untill financial disc.She's right!!!

Let H move in with her it helps your case!!

Could i come out with less than 50/50.= Megan need a lot more financial information.

Basic financial details to help others consider your position

H age
Net income a year
Net income a week
Should he be working O/T or can he realistically maximise his earning potential –if so what would the net income be a year
Health issues which affect ability to work?

W age
Net income a year
Should she be working O/T or can he realistically maximise his earning potential –if so what would the net income be a year
Health issues which affect ability to work?
What do you think you can raise by way of mortgage?
How much can you afford for housing a month?

State benefits?
Child Benefit
Working Tax Credits
Child Tax Credits
Other benefits state per year

W savings
H savings


W debts
H debts
of the above how much do you accept are Matrimonial debts

Any adverse credit history affecting you or H getting a mortgage/loan

Any inheritance likely;
H £ parents aged?
W £ parents aged?

Any serious likelihood of either within 5 years?


Either in payment?

Case is in which County Court?

W’s solicitors?

W’s Counsel (Barrister)

H’s solicitors?

H’s Counsel (Barrister)

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.