A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Change of name? (slightly complicated!)

  • daisydaisy
  • daisydaisy's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Jul 07 #1631 by daisydaisy
Topic started by daisydaisy
Hi, I'm quite new to this site, and was wondering if anyone would know the answer to my little dilemma.

I'm about to separate from my husband, and we plan to start divorce proceedings straight away on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour. I took his surname on marriage, having previously used my first husband's surname. I have always hated my Maiden Name, and don't especially feel I want to keep husband number 2's name when we are divorced (still with me?! said it was complicated!). So, ideally I would like to go back to using my first husbands surname, as I did before I married for the second time. Now, I know I could easily revert to my maiden name after divorce, but could I revert to my previous married name as easily, or would I have to go through the whole Deed Poll thingy?

Sorry it's a bit convoluted, but hope someone understands what I'm saying! Any help would be much appreciated.


  • Sera
  • Sera's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
29 Jul 07 #1633 by Sera
Reply from Sera
Yeah... slightly complicated!

I feel obliged to comment, because my friend hated her maiden name.. Married (1st time) used his name..

Divorced, Married second time (didn't like second husbands name, so didn't use it!) Yet their two kids had that name.
She kept her first husbands name.

I always wondered if her new 2nd hubby minded? Or if the kids thought it odd.

You'll have to check on the legal rules, I'm sure a phone call would get you that answer... I was just wondering, if you're going to use a name that your not, then why not just go for any old name?... rather than hang on an ex-husbands name? Or make up some fancy-pretty thing? I'd certainly wouldn't want to wear my ex's like a souvenir.

Just curios!

  • daisydaisy
  • daisydaisy's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
29 Jul 07 #1635 by daisydaisy
Reply from daisydaisy
Hi Sera, thanks for replying.

Yup, it does sound a bit strange I know... but I had my first husbands name for 11 years, and long after I separated from him I moved towns for work, so people at work and my local friends here don't actually know I was married before (never felt the need to mention it). So I guess it would just be easier from that point of view, as in everyone assumes it's my maiden name anyway, rather than starting out with a whole new identity! Plus, I had got so used to my first husband's name that I no longer considered it 'his' - it no longer reminds me of him. If that makes sense! Also, it just so happens I like the name. Or am I just being weird?!

When I got married for the second time, I did consider keeping it, and my 'new' husband said he really didn't mind either way. But it didn't feel right to me, being married to someone new and keeping my exes name, so I changed it. Of course, with hindsight I wouldn't have bothered (with either the name change or the marriage!). Ho hum.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
29 Jul 07 #1638 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Don't think it's complicated at all.

Extract from the CAB adviceguide :

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

Changing details on a birth certificate can be complicated. If you wish to do this you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by e-mail, click on nearest CAB.

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport.

  • daisydaisy
  • daisydaisy's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
30 Jul 07 #1642 by daisydaisy
Reply from daisydaisy
Thanks for that Mike, very useful. I'll check out the 'evidence of name change' bit as well, as at some point someone is bound to ask for proof!

Thanks again,

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.