A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Application Query

  • flamingsombrero
  • flamingsombrero's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
12 Mar 08 #16577 by flamingsombrero
Topic started by flamingsombrero
My wife and I have been married for 4 and a half years and have mutually come to the decision to divorce on the grounds of the two year separation (1 year apart at same address and 1 year living at different addresses).

We have no shared assets, no shared debt, no children and both have a similar income.

We see no reason to involve solicitors and will therefore be applying to the courts personally with the assistance of the Citizens Advice Bureau.

What I need to know is should I just be petitioning for the Decree or is there still a need to go through the financial arrangements? Also if we do need to apply for Ancillary Relief how do you go about stating that we are both perfectly happy with our existing independent circumstances?

  • dukey
  • dukey's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
12 Mar 08 #16595 by dukey
Reply from dukey
Hello Flamingsombero (good name)

It will be time well spent for you and your spouse to read the wiki step by step to divorce its well written and easy to understand and will answer many questions and save time in the long run.

You should aim for a "Clean Break"

It goes something like this



Decree Nisi

AR form d81 (m1)

Clean break Consent Order

Degree absolute

Not quite as simple as that but thats the bones of it

You should also read about seperation while liveing in the same house (cant eat meals together do each others washing and the list goes on)

All the best hope it goes smoothly


  • flamingsombrero
  • flamingsombrero's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
13 Mar 08 #16719 by flamingsombrero
Reply from flamingsombrero
Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated.

I had read through the guide but thought I would get some confirmation so I have a general idea of what course I need to follow.

Citizens Advice Bureau tomorrow morning then!

Thank you again

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11