A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Decree Absolute but outstanding financial issues

  • kenM
  • kenM's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
14 Mar 08 #16760 by kenM
Topic started by kenM

I am writing on behalf of my partner. Brief summary:

She was left by her husband a couple of years ago. Two children under 18 and in the matrimonial home. She is on low income but he was a high earner and initially the mortgage and costs etc continued to run on a joint basis.

Last year, she applied for divorce and the process began. form E's were completed and hearings took place. The court ordered that he pay maintenance for his two children and that additionally he pay an extra sum (spousal maintenance??) to cover the amount needed to pay the mortgage and other household costs. Its a very big house needing lots of work and even with all her salary going in, its not possible to meet the bills. The house is being actively marketed but its taking some time.

The maintenance payments to date have been sporadic and never to the full amount (which also causes stress and worry) but by hook or crook the bills have been paid. The idea behind the extra payment was to ensure that she and the kids have a roof over their heads until the property is sold and the assets split.

Yesterday, a letter arrived from her solicitor containing the Decree Absolute. Her ex had applied for the absolute and its been issued. She was not informed that he had applied and has been to no hearings. Does anyone know how this can be? Finances have not been resolved and my (our) understanding is that spousal maintenance ends at the time of the absolute. If this is correct there now is a real chance that she cant pay mortgage (even though he is still on deed).

Any advice from anyone who knows about this most welcome.


  • Angel557
  • Angel557's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
14 Mar 08 #16766 by Angel557
Reply from Angel557
Sposual maintenance does not end on the absolute , I am in the same boat i was not told of him going for the absolute i was told 10 weeks later and that he attended court in person, our finances have still yet to be resolved , i think she needs to ask why she was'nt informed as this is not the service you are paying for , this is where us going through this stress are really not helped by our sols who make money out of our misery by adding more stress and misery on top.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.