A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

im lost where do i go?

  • jina
  • jina's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Aug 07 #1722 by jina
Topic started by jina
:unsure:i dont know where to go or do, got married nearly 7 years ago, in pakistan, he only married me for visa but is related to me dad, my dad does not understand me i am a single seperated mum with 1 child but have no proof of marriage i dont know how or what to do anymore. i want a happy and secure life for my child and my self....

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Aug 07 #1723 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Aug 07 #1725 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Dear Jina

Can I ask you one question arising from what you say - you say your husband is related to your father, but you do not say what the relationship is.

In England and Wales a marriage between certain categories of close relative is void. The list is :


1. Two people are within prohibited degrees of relationship if one falls within the list below in relation to the other:

· Adoptive child
· Adoptive parent
· Child
· Former adoptive child
· Former adoptive parent
· Grandparent
· Grandchild
· Parent
· Parent's sibling
· Sibling
· Sibling's child
"sibling" means a brother, sister, half-brother or half-sister.

2. Two people are within prohibited degrees of relationship if one of them falls within the list below in relation to the other, unless -

· both of them have reached 21 at the time when they register as civil partners of each other, and
· the younger has not at any time before reaching 18 been a child of the family in relation to each other.
· Child of former civil partner
· Child of former spouse
· Former civil partner of grandparent
· Former civil partner of partner
· Former spouse of Grandparent
· Former spouse of partner
· Grandchild of former civil partner
· Grandchild of former spouse

"child of the family" in relation to another person, means a person who:
· has lived in the same household as that other person, and
· has been treated by that other person as a child of his family.

The legal name for it is ' prohibited degrees of relationship '. As far as English law is concerned, you cannot marry someone within the prohibited degrees - not legally anyway !

The next question is, what is it that you want out of this messy situation ? Do you want to be out of the marriage and be free to make a fresh start ?

As far as English law is concerned, getting a divorce after five years' separation is relatively easy, but normally you need to produce your marriage certificate. That, as you say , might be difficult.

If the law in Pakistan in relation to marriages between close relatives is similar to that in England, and your husband and you were within the prohibited degrees, then the marriage might be void anyway. But I am conscious of cultural and religious considerations here ; Pakistan is a Moslem country with a different legal system.

My other concern is that you don't do anything which might prejudice your right to stay in Britain. I know nothing at all about immigration law except that it's difficult !

I think in your situation I would be looking for a voluntary advice centre which specialised in giving advice to immigrants and particularly Asians. Try the information centre at your local authority or a CAB. It is a reasonable place to start.

Good luck
Mike 100468

  • jina
  • jina's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
07 Aug 07 #1800 by jina
Reply from jina
i have spoken to the c a b but they cannot help me, i don't want any maintenance off my child's father now its been 5years so why ask off him now???

  • jina
  • jina's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
07 Aug 07 #1802 by jina
Reply from jina
hi, yes he is my fathers nephew from Pakistan, secondly i am a British citizen, born and bred in Luton, and yes i do want to have a divorce more than anything, i want to get married again in the future.I don't know what to do, i phoned some1 in Pakistan to see if i could get a copy of my marriage cert, but apparently i cant, so I'm stuck, is there any body out there going through the same?and can give me some advice???????????:sick:

  • divwiki
  • divwiki's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
07 Aug 07 #1803 by divwiki
Reply from divwiki
Hi Jina,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation you are currently in.

I'm guessing that you were raised a Muslim? If so, there are various Muslim Women's Associations and agencies which you can research on the web. They tend to based in London mostly, but I've heard of one or two who operate National Helplines. They might have more specialised knowledge of your needs or know Solicitors who deal with complex cases.

If you are religious, but not a Muslim there are also quite a variety of other specific agencies for women which you can keyword search on the net.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you all.


  • Louise11
  • Louise11's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 07 #1805 by Louise11
Reply from Louise11

I would of thought if he only married you for a visa, then thats illegal anyway and would be null and void. Maybe you ought to report it to the immigration authority! But then again you did have a child by this man! So I doubt it was just for a visa! BTW he should also be paying maintenance for his child, it makes a mockery of all the dads that are paying above and beyond their fair share to pay for dads who dont!
Also if he got his visa surely thats proof enough that you were married and it was legal in this country, I would hope that we dont grant visas in this country based upon myth, surely you have to prove in the form of paperwork that its all legal and above board. Maybe thats where you should start, where he went for his Visa!


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.