A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Husband Has Done A Runner!!!!

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 07 #1816 by scottishlady
Topic started by scottishlady
I have just discovered this site today, so please bear with me...
About three weeks ago my husband left unexpectedly (although he does work away from home)...he has emptied our bank account and cancelled my cards. He called home last week to say he wants a divorce and wants to sell the house...I have consulted a solicitor, she says I should continue to pay the mortage, bills etc, but since I only work part time, I am going to struggle to be able to do this long term, she says that if I can get an address for my husband then she can take steps to contact him for financial help....where on earth does one start to trace someone? i know which town he is working in - that's all....:dry:

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 07 #1823 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Aug 07 #1827 by scottishlady
Reply from scottishlady
Thankyou very much for that advice......
I live in England, the house is in my husbands name, so, the building society won't discuss it with me...
I cannot find an address or telephone number for his employer....
I shall certainly tell him (should he call again) that I need an address for my solicitor, whether he will be forthcoming or not is questionable...He emptied the account in cash, so can't trace him from that...
I have no idea where he may 'frequent' while he is away, so I can't go down that route unfortunately....
I have spoken with his family, and they seem to be as much in the dark as I am...:(

  • divwiki
  • divwiki's Avatar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
08 Aug 07 #1830 by divwiki
Reply from divwiki
As the Building Society have difficulties talking about the mortgage, you might like to try CAB for both general advice and an appointment with a Debt Counsellor to help you get on top of things.

It'll probably feel good for you to know you have sme support.

Good luck and I hope you find the coward soon!;)

p.s. although this was probably a strategy by him, there is a slim (very slim) risk that he is having some kind of breakdown so you could try National Missing Persons Bureau and the nearest Community mental health Team to where you last know he was, probably your local one?

  • scottishlady
  • scottishlady's Avatar Posted by
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Aug 07 #1843 by scottishlady
Reply from scottishlady
Thankyou for that information.....
I don't think he has any sort of breakdown, as he seems capable of stopping my debit card, and withdrawing a considerable amount of money out of our joint account....
I have managed to find out the name and address of the company that he is working for today...... but they wouldn't give me any information....
does anyone have any suggestions as to the next step I might take?????

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.