A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

divorce dragging on need advice

  • PBrad
  • PBrad's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
11 Sep 07 #3214 by PBrad
Topic started by PBrad
hi after 2 and a half years i am finally divorced it is the financial side we cant get sorted we were together 18 years and have 1 child who is 19 and can support himself. my ex wife left me and my son and went to move in her fathers house rent free not having to pay a penny she now lives in her fathers house with her boyfriend which she has done since she left! My x wife takes around 5 months between each solicitors letter to reply that is when she can b bothered to reply I have made sveral financial offers to which she has refused point blank so as i wanted it over and done with i made her the full offer to which she asked which is to be honest over 50% it has now been over 5 months any advice to what i can do i cant offer any more as I cant afford it and the more my solicitor pesters her to reply the more adament she is to keep waiting but for what? My solicitor has said she just wants to make me suffer I cant afford to take it to court what can I do? I now have a new girlfriend and a baby will i be forced to sell the house?

  • Mrs.Bobbitt
  • Mrs.Bobbitt's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
11 Sep 07 #3222 by Mrs.Bobbitt
Reply from Mrs.Bobbitt
Have either of you started ancillary relief proceedings?

If you haven't, then this is really the only way of speeding things up as you both have to adhere to timescales imposed by the court in relation to financial information.

This route will cost,and you say you cant afford to go to court, but can you really afford not to? From what you say you are keen to put an end to things.

The thing is with ancillary relief, despite its costs, it HAS to come to an end eventually.
It seems the way things are for you now there is no end in sight.

Have you thought of self representing at court?

I'm sure someone on here who has done that could give you some pointers/help if you decided to.

Best wishes with all this

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.