A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Consent order broken

  • jumbobon
  • jumbobon's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
16 Apr 12 #324179 by jumbobon
Topic started by jumbobon
I got divorced over 4 years ago and since late 2010 my ex has been underpaying my maintenance by over a half every month. I applied to the courts to get the money off him and they agreed that he had to pay the reduced amount until we can go back to court to re-calculate the maintenance.
The arrears built up are quite substantial , over £20 K, but he simply says he hasnt got the money. He had 3 companies when we divorced and only one of them now is making any money , or so he has told me.He has a property which has equity , which he supposedly has a buyer for.
My problem is , that for the last few months he has been trying to meet with me to discuss the situation. He has always been devious and manipulative which is one of the reasons for divorce. He is pushing for me to agree to the reduced sum of money between ourselves and to disregard the Consent Order and forget the arrears.He says you cant get blood out of a stone.
He says it will cost vast sums of money to take it back to court to vary the order and that this is the cheapest way to do things.I don''t know if it is worth the added expense of court if he has manipulated his bank statements etc and is it easier for me to just agree the reduced amount and forget about the consent order for child/spousal maintenance and arrears

  • alexa74
  • alexa74's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
17 Apr 12 #324536 by alexa74
Reply from alexa74
I have a similar problem! I do not know which court form you need to complete but there will be an appropriate one and you can phone the court and ask. I don''t think you should be put off my the expense as I don''t think it will cost more than the court fees which are neglible given the amount due to you and you can self represent. I would move quickly though as I believe anything outstanding for more that 12 months cannot be reclaimed if you haven''t taken steps to do so. So he might actually be stringing you along and buying time which will cost you dearly. For that amount of money I would get into court pronto. The judge could enforce the sale of the property to provide you with the arrears. Best of luck

  • Tirov
  • Tirov's Avatar
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
09 Jun 12 #335876 by Tirov
Reply from Tirov
What did you do?

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.