A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Fianance between Nisi and Absolute

  • Barryweiss
  • Barryweiss's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
22 Apr 12 #325761 by Barryweiss
Topic started by Barryweiss
Can anyone answer this please

I have just recieved my Nisi but I am looking to buy a house very shortly with my new partner.
I have already sorted my marital fianances out (Sold the house and paid her her cut, I am paying the agreed child maintainance and have also taken on the debts we had)
My new partner has the £30,000 deposit from the sale of her house, but the mortgage for the new house is going in my sole name only
So between the Nisi and the Absolute, can my soon to be ex-wife claim any of this £30,000 from me?

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Apr 12 #325764 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Unless there is a court order settling the finances the parties to divorce can make future claims against each other even after the absolute. If the deeds to the property you are buying are held in your sole name or in joint names with your new partner there is a risk your wife could make a claim against the equity. My advice would be make sure you have a legally binding court order before tying yourself together financially with a new partner or at least seek legal advice.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Orders from £359

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.