A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Mon/Fri 9am-6pm       Sat/Sun 2pm-6pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

seperated and stuck

  • xdjroox
  • xdjroox's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
23 May 07 #348 by xdjroox
Topic started by xdjroox
I am 24 and have been married for 3 years but we were togeather for 11 all in all my husband recently found out i was pregnant with our 3rd child and he walked out.
It is definatly over but i have no idea where to go from here.
How do i even begin divorce procedings ?
plz help x

  • DownButNotOut
  • DownButNotOut's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 May 07 #349 by DownButNotOut
Reply from DownButNotOut
The first step for most people is to visit a family law solicitor.

Many offer a free first 1/2 hour meeting.

Try to ring round and find one who specialises in divorce.

Take a look at our Top Sites sections on Solicitors Associations. There are some organisations listed that encourage their members (solicitors) to deal with divorces in a collaborative way - i.e. by negotiation with the other party rather than fighting in court.

Dont sign anything with solicitor at first meeting.

Basically you can leave the solicitor to get on with it but they can run up quite high bills.

Getting tips from these forums could help you to do much of the form filling and fact gathering yourself to keep the solicitors bills down.

Once you have chosen a solicitor the first step is to petition for divorce.

The section in the wikivorce Divorce Guide under "Court Forms" includes information sheets from the courts on how to petition for Divorce.

  • bathsheba
  • bathsheba's Avatar
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
25 May 07 #394 by bathsheba
Reply from bathsheba
If you think you may need legal aid it may be quite difficult to find a solicitor who will take your case. The website for the Law Society has a pretty comprehensive list of family law solicitors; all you need to do is go to Find A Solictor and enter your postcode. If you click on the name of a solicitor the details that come up tell you if they will take legal aid cases. Good luck.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11