A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Appealing a Final Dissolution of Marriage Settleme

  • ansonone
  • ansonone's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
02 Oct 12 #358980 by ansonone
Topic started by ansonone
I reside in a Community Property state (USA). I divorced three years ago without an attorney and through a court mediator. At the time, the ex received 50% ownership (just in writing) to primiary and secondary properties by agreement, nothing else, no alimony sought and MY pension left untouched. I verbally promised to take care of the ex within reasonableness and affordability for 8 years, half of the length of marriage, with the agreement that she will deed both properties to me exclusively at the end of 8 years. The "reasonable care'' I provide for 8 years would be compensation for the properties. The problem is that I have always and continue to pay the mortgage, and I would like to sell but neither party can "buy off" the other, so what can I do to sell the property if the ex declines to sign the paperwork? We''re jointly obligated to the properties. I pay the mortgage and if I had to continue, I cannot afford a place of mine own to live, meaning she will get more than half of my assets, which is contrary to Community Property (50% per party). Any information, aside from contacting an attorney, is appreciated. I obviously need an attorney, but......

  • NoWhereToTurnl
  • NoWhereToTurnl's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Oct 12 #358993 by NoWhereToTurnl
Reply from NoWhereToTurnl
I am sorry you find yourself in this position and hope you are able to sort things out.

This forum is for UK citizens and deals with divorce in that jurisdiction so I don''t think there will be many, if any that can help you,

Best wishes,

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.