A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Adultery after seperation

  • donnaj
  • donnaj's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
19 Sep 07 #3661 by donnaj
Topic started by donnaj
Just wondered if someone could give me advice regarding my situation. My husband and I decided to seperate about 9 months ago and he moved back to his parents. He has since met someone else and is now living with her. I was wondering if I could still divorce him for adultery after the seperation or not?

  • gone1
  • gone1's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Sep 07 #3670 by gone1
Reply from gone1
Yes. You are still married and any relationship (we must assume that they have sex) is adultary.

But why rock the boat. You will get your divorce no matter what happens. If you are divorcing him anyway just let it happen. What you need is for him to sign and return the pettion. That is the hard bit. If you accuse him of this he may hold things up. Stick with what you have or move the notch down to UB. More likly to sign and return it.

Best let sleeping dogs lay where they are. Chris.

  • LittleMrMike
  • LittleMrMike's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Sep 07 #3676 by LittleMrMike
Reply from LittleMrMike
Chris is quite right, of course. I'm not clear whether you have started divorce proceedings or not. If you haven't, you can commence proceedings on the grounds of adultery. You don't have to name his new paramour and it is normally considered inadvisable to do so.

If you have already petitioned, then Chris is right - just stick with the petition on the grounds you already have.

Mike 100468

  • wscowell
  • wscowell's Avatar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
20 Sep 07 #3700 by wscowell
Reply from wscowell
But on the other hand, if you are having to wait 2 years and would rather a "quickie" (oops!) divorce, it does give you a way of shortening the 2 years' wait.

As has been said, don't pour petrol on the flames. But you could agree to petition earlier, if it suits you both. You agree not to name the other party, he agrees not to defend... Nothing to stop you two sorting something out by agreement, and possibly a lot to gain.

Whatever the grounds cited to show the breakdown of the marriage, the money matters ("ancillary relief") will be dealt with on a strictly needs-related, no-fault basis.

Will C

  • Vail
  • Vail's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Sep 07 #3706 by Vail
Reply from Vail
Further to the comments above, it is quite normal for the other person in adultery not to be named. The law allows for it and theoretically costs can be gleaned from this party, but please don't bother - the recoverable costs are laughable and as it is all about "no fault" there really is no point in naming names. I haven't heard of a single solicitor advising their client to do it.

Yes, all right I admit I did it, but hey I was seriously cheesed off with the guy and guess what, my xtb said she wouldn't defend the adultery petition if I put his name in. I put his name down and she didn't defend. Seems to have been th eonly thing we have agreed on!

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11

The modern, convenient and affordable way to divorce.

No-Fault Divorce £179

We provide the UK's lowest cost no-fault divorce service, managed by a well respected firm of solicitors. 

Online Mediation £250

Online mediation is a convenient and inexpensive way to agree on a fair financial settlement.

Consent Order £259

This legally binding agreement defines how assets (e.g. properties and pensions) are to be divided.

Court Support £250

Support for people who have to go to court to get a fair divorce financial settlement without a solicitor.