A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

Can anyone see any problems

  • Bornagainbiker
  • Bornagainbiker's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 May 07 #372 by Bornagainbiker
Topic started by Bornagainbiker
I separated from my wife late '99 after 30 years of marriage. It was amicable and she did not fight against me leaving. I gave her the house and £100 per week. I see her every 4 weeks when I visit our youngest Son (now 22) and we get on fine - she usually has a few jobs for me, which I do and advise her in any way I can. Out of the settlement of the sale of the family home in 2000, she bought herself a flat. Last year I agreed a financial settlement of a cash sum to include everything, which she has now had, so I no longer need to support her in any way.

I have been living with my new partner since 2000 and we want to get married. Divorce has not been an issue, but obviously prevents us re-marrying (we both need one from our respective spouses). My partner also has a Financial Agreement signed between herself and her husband.

Does anyone see any problems in me using one of the quick On-Line divorce sites?


  • wikivorce team
  • wikivorce team's Avatar
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
24 May 07 #375 by wikivorce team
Reply from wikivorce team
I don't see any great problems getting a divorce - I assume your wife will be amicable and co-operative in the process. In which case you will save money (vs using solicitors) by using a DIY divorce site such as Divorce Online (their link is listed on front page of our Top Divorce Sites section).

What form is your financial agreement? Is it formally signed?
You may want to check that the agreement is water tight and that she could not come back for more later (even though you say she is content with current agreement).

  • Bornagainbiker
  • Bornagainbiker's Avatar Posted by
  • New Member
  • New Member
24 May 07 #376 by Bornagainbiker
Reply from Bornagainbiker

Thanks for the reply - the form is signed, dated and witnessed! It was done before the money was handed over, though there was a time stated - I think within 6 month. That time has lapsed and all the money was paid over. I did wonder whether I should obtain a signed receipt just to make it bullet-proof.

I see no reason why after all these years she would object - my intention was to warn her of the arrival of any documents just so it did not look cold-hearted.


Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11