A well respected, award winning social enterprise
Volunteer run - Government and charity funded
We help 50,000 people a year through divorce

01202 805020

Lines open: Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Call for FREE expert advice & service info

What are we each entitled to in our divorce settlement?

What does the law say about how to split the house, how to share pensions and other assets, and how much maintenance is payable.

What steps can we take to reach a fair agreement?

The four basic steps to reaching an agreement on divorce finances are: disclosure, getting advice, negotiating and implementing a Consent Order.

What is a Consent Order and why do we need one?

A Consent Order is a legally binding document that finalises a divorcing couple's agreement on property, pensions and other assets.

Do you need help sorting out a fair financial settlement?

Our consultant service offers expert advice and support to help you reach agreement on a fair financial settlement quickly, and for less than a quarter of the cost of using a traditional high street solicitor.

scottish law

  • hrm
  • hrm's Avatar Posted by
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
02 Oct 07 #4250 by hrm
Topic started by hrm
Hi all.
I know that the Scottish system is different from English so am a bit confused on a few points.Can anyone enlighten me what the procedure is ? Current position is that he has asked if I have an objection to divorce on grounds of 1 year apart.
How long can I expect the whole process to take if it is straightforward-two children under 16.

Also; We had a minute of agreement written when he left the family home.Is it completely binding??)( I hope so!!)

Thanks in advance.

  • Fiona
  • Fiona's Avatar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
03 Oct 07 #4262 by Fiona
Reply from Fiona
Under Scottish law courts can't grant a divorce until all financial matters and issues related to the children are resolved. You will be pleased to know that it's difficult to overturn a MoA and they are legally binding once recorded by the court. Citing UB or adultery as the reason for the marriage breakdown requires evidence involving at least one witness to the act. As a result in Scotland most divorces (around 50%) are 1 year with consent or 2 years without consent (25%).

When there are children under 16 you must use the ordinary divorce procedure and you will need a solicitor. The action begins with the solicitor for the pursuer drafting the ‘summons’ (Court of Session) or ‘initial writ’ (sheriff court). This is a formal document stating all the facts which is sent to the court. A copy is sent to the defender who then has 21 days to seek legal advice and consider their response.

Where both parties are in agreement the action proceeds as an undefended divorce. Sworn statements are usually provided by the divorce applicant and the solicitor submits the statements to the court. The judge examines the case in private and the divorce decree will then be granted unless the court requires further information. How long it takes depends on the court's workload but 2-6 weeks is standard.

Moderators: wikivorce teamrubytuesdaydukeyhadenoughnowTetsSheziLinda SheridanForsetiMitchumWhiteRoseLostboy67WYSPECIALBubblegum11